31 Civil Society Organisations Joint Statement on 24 May 2019 in Kuala Lumpur
No Double Standard Please, Sue Perak State Government Now!
We, the undersigned civil society organisations, condemn the act of Perak State Government for taking down the anti-logging blockade set up by the Orang Asli of Kampung Cunex, Gerik, Perak and encroached into their native customary lands.
On the 13th May, the Perak state government gave a statement that they are facing obstacles from NGO with regards to state development which requires logging to channel income for the state, brushing over the fact that many of these logging and development activities were decided without the participation of the communities that were affected, in this case, the Orang Asli of Kampung Cunex, Gerik, Perak.
Many developments in the ancestral territories of the Orang Asli in Perak (and also other states across Peninsular) were carried out without the free, prior, informed consent (FPIC) of the communities and often, they were not compensated fairly – an indicator showing the Perak State Government not recognizing the human rights of the Orang Asli.
These principles are enshrined in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) which Malaysia has agreed to at the UN General Assembly in 2007, expressing her commitment to protect and respect the rights of the indigenous peoples at the international level.
Pakatan Harapan government has reaffirmed its commitment on protection of the rights of the Orang Asli in the GE14 Manifesto and an overarching framework for the 136 resolutions that were enlisted during the Orang Asli Convention in Putrajaya on 22 April 2019.
In January 2019, the Attorney General Tommy Thomas has also taken an unprecedented move to sue the Kelantan government to restrain the PAS-led state government for destroying indigenous people’s lands for commercial profits. He emphasised that the cabinet was resolved to protect the indigenous people’s land rights and their welfare.
Hence, we urge the federal government to be consistent in policy decision and should not practice double standard in the encroachment of indigenous people’s native lands in Kelantan and Perak. The AG must sue the Perak state government immediately, putting the human rights of people over profits.
We also demand all state government to freeze current logging license and conduct FPIC assessment with the indigenous people prior to any activities and actions that will affect their rights to their native customary lands.
Ultimately, we seek the full implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) by the government to fulfil their fiduciary duty of respecting and protecting the rights of the Orang Asli in tandem with protecting and preserving the rich biodiversity inhabiting in these natural environments which many of the Orang Asli call home.
Initiated by Teoh Beng Hock Trust for Democracy
1. Agora Society 群议社
2. Baramkini 当今巴南
3. Community Development Centre (CDC)
4. Gabungan Pembebasan Akademik (GPA)
6. Happy Learning Books 学乐书苑
7. Jaringan Rakyat Tertindas (JERIT)
8. Jaringan Orang Asal Malaysia (JOAS)
9. Jawatankuasa Bertindak Kuala Lumpur Tak Nak Insinerator
10. Johor Yellow Flame (JYF) 柔南黄色小组
11. LLG Foundation Perak Liaison Committee 林連玉基金霹靂聯委會
12. Malaysian CARE
14. MADPET(Malaysians Against Death Penalty and Torture)
15. Melaka Chinese Assembly Hall Youth Section 马六甲华堂青
16. North South Initiatives
17. NTFP-EP Malaysia
18. Oriental Hearts and Minds Study Institute(OHMSI)
19. Parti Sosialis Malaysia 社会主义党
20. Perak Civic Forum 霹雳公民论坛
21. Persatuan Komuniti Prihatin KL & Selangor 雪隆社区关怀协会
22. Persatuan Sahabat Wanita Selangor
23. Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (EMPOWER)
24. Pertubuhan Pelindungan Khazanah Alam Malaysia (PEKA Malaysia)
25.Sahabat Rakyat 人民之友 மக்கள் தோழர்கள்
26. Sunflower Electoral Education Movement (SEED) 向日葵选举教育运动
27. Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM) 人民之声
28. Teoh Beng Hock Trust for Democracy 赵明福民主基金会
29. Treat Every Environment Special
30. University of Malaya Association of New Youth 马大新青年
31. Youth section Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall 隆雪华堂青年团