PUTRAJAYA: Three Court of Appeal judges, in an unprecendented move, will visit the interrogation room in which Teoh Beng Hock was alleged to have fallen to his death in 2009.

The request was made by the judges panel chaired by Datuk Mohamad Arif Md Yusof today during a hearing application brought by Teoh’s family against the coroner’s court open verdict decision in the inquest into the death of Teoh.
During submissions by counsel Gobind Singh Deo, Arif questioned whether there was a need to inspect the site to get a better understanding of the matter.
To this, Gobind said he would gladly accommodate if the judges wished to inspect the place.
The visit will take place prior to the continued hearing which was fixed for March 28.
During submissions, Gobind argued that the coroner’s court in making a finding of homicide in an inquest does not require to apply for test of beyond reasonable doubt.
As such, he said the coroner’s court can give an opinion for the police and Attorney-General’s chambers to further investigate whether Beng Hock’s death was a suicide or homicide.
Deputy public prosecutor Kee Wei Loon appeared for the prosecution on behalf of DPP Abaszafree Mohd Abbas.
The court was informed that Abaszafree was absent due to personal unforeseen circumstances.
Arif was joined by Datuk Mah Weng Kwai and Datuk Dr Hamid Sultan Abu Backer on the bench.
On Feb 10, 2012, Beng Hock’s elder brother Meng Kee filed an application at the Court of Appeal to review the open verdict delivered by the coroner’s court in January 2011, after his application was rejected by the High Court on
December 1, 2011.
On January 5, 2011, coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas, when delivering his open verdict, said Beng Hock’s death was not due to suicide, neither did it involve a third party.
A few months later, a Royal Commission of Inquiry into Beng Hock’s death, chaired by now-retired Federal Court judge Tan Sri James Foong Cheng Yuen, ruled on July 21 last year, that it was a suicide.
Teoh, the political secretary to Selangor state executive councillor Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead on the fifth floor corridor of Plaza Masalam in Shah Alam, Selangor, on July 16, 2009, after giving a statement at the office of the Selangor Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission located on the 14th floor of the same building.