KUALA LUMPUR (May 31): After trying and failing numerous times to meet with Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar, family members and supporters of deceased political aide K Murugan say they are left with no choice but to stage peaceful protests at the police headquarters at Bukit Aman to demand for justice.

This action comes following their growing frustration after three memorandums sent over 21 days seeking an in-depth police investigation into the death of Murugan, an aide to PKR Tapah candidate K Vasantha Kumar, have failed to produce results. Vasantha has alleged that Murugan was brutally murdered for political reasons.

In the 13th general election on May 5, Vasantha lost by 7,927 votes to BN’s M Saravanan in the contest for the Tapah parliamentary seat. Saravanan is now the Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports.

“We sent the last memorandum 10 days ago where (corporate communication representative ASP) Rizal Abd Rahman Sidek of Bukit Aman told us to write a formal letter providing a few dates where we can meet the IGP,” said M Visvanathan, a lawyer acting for Murugan’s family.

“The next day I went back to submit a letter giving four days and including convenient times as well. Up to this point, there is no reply. Khalid has made no efforts to see us,” he said at a press conference here today.

Visvanathan added that Khalid will be given three days to reply to their requests, otherwise, candle light vigils and peaceful assemblies will be held as a sign of protest.

Also present today was President of the Women’s Section of the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, Ng Geok Chee, who said that civil society was being pushed to the corner when seeking for justice and hardly had any other options to further their cause.

“We are very disappointed. Besides sending memorandum and writing letters what’s else can we do (to push for greater intervention),” she asked.

Murugan was missing since May 1 and three days later, his body was reportedly found floating on a pond in Batu Gajah, Perak.

The body was found with over 50kg scrap metal tied around it. His face was reportedly smashed and body slashed. The post mortem found that Murugan had died of blunt force trauma to the head.

Vasantha and his team are adamant that this was a “politically motivated murder” as he claims that several continuous attempts at harassment had allegedly been made by BN party workers to his team. To date, six police reports including the one about Murugan’s disappearance has been made.

“Investigating Officer (IO), Amirjit Singh called me two days ago. He said that 18 people have been questioned and four detained over Murugan’s death.

“But the investigations are not related to the political motive. Gangsters involved were not questioned or arrested,” stressed Vasantha adding that Khalid’s intervention was all the more needed to go straight to the alleged murder source.

Suaram representative Sarah Devaraj said that the human rights body will follow the case closely and will take up the matter with Minister in the Prime Minister’s department Paul Low and Suhakam should the police not take further action.

Vasantha also asked for Low’s intervention into Murugan’s death following the Minister’s intention to help seek justice over the custodial death of N Dharmendran.

Murugan’s brother K Khannan, who was present at the press conference today, asked for justice to be served and for the family to be informed of the on-going investigations.

“We want action to be taken (on the perpetrator). Whether the person is a Datuk or not and from whichever political party we don’t care,” he said.