Trio implicated in death of Teoh to face rap — one year later
THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 2012 – 14:22
ABU KASSIM: Yet to decide on what action to be taken against the trio

DISCIPLINARY action is finally on the cards for three Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers, one year after they were implicated in the death of political aide Teoh Beng Hock.

However, MACC chief commissioner Datuk Seri Abu Kassim Mohamed said the agency would need to finalise with its complaints committee before the punishment itself can be announced.

“At the moment, we have yet to decide what disciplinary action will be meted out,” he said.

Abu Kassim said the MACC would inform the complaints committee at their next meeting but was unable to announce when the meeting would take place.

“I have to check because the complaints committee is independent and I don’t attend their meetings,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby.

He said the meeting would be attended by the secretariat and MACC deputy commissioner for management and professionalism Datuk Zakaria Jaffar, who is in charge of discipline.

Abu Kassim disagreed that the decision was a long time coming.

He said this was because the earlier part of the probe was on criminal charges following which the Attorney-General’s Chambers referred the matter to the MACC for disciplinary action.

Teoh was found dead on the roof of a building adjacent to the MACC on July 16, 2009, the day after they took him into custody regarding allegations of corruption involving purchase of flags amounting to RM2,400.

The MACC later claimed that Teoh had been questioned for nine hours before being released at 3.45am.

However, his possessions were found to be in the custody of the commission, including his handphone, which was later handed over to police.

Source : Malay Mail